Since 1996, Chesterton has had the distinction of being awarded a Tree City by The Arbor Day Foundation. The criteria for this designation is to have:
- An active Tree Board
- An expenditure of $2 per capita per year on the municipality's trees
- A regular maintenance program
Plant a Tree
If you are looking to plant trees in town, there is a manual available with suggestions for types of trees, what season to plant them and what trees do not work best for our area, read our Tree Manual.
15 Reasons to Become a Tree City
Becoming a Tree City:
- Encourages better care of community forests.
- Touches the lives of people within the community who benefit daily from cleaner air, shadier streets, and aesthetic beauty that healthy, well-managed urban forests provide.
- Recognizes and rewards communities for annual advancements in urban forestry practices.
- Increases public awareness of the many social, economical and environmental benefits urban forestry practices.
- Provides education to improve current urban forestry practices.
- Builds cooperation between public and private sectors to effectively manage urban forests.
- Encourages, supports, and strengthens effective urban forestry programs in diverse communities nationwide.
- Can make a strong contribution to a community's pride.
- Serves as a blueprint for planting and maintaining a community's trees.
- Puts people in touch with other communities and resources that can help them improve their program.
- Brings solid benefits to a community such as helping to gain financial support for tree projects and contributing to safer and healthier urban forests.
- Helps present the kind of image that most citizens want to have for the place they live or conduct business.
- Tells visitors, through signage, that here is a community that cares about its environment.
- Sometimes gives preference over other communities when allocations of grant money are made for trees or forestry programs.
- Provides a way to reach large numbers of people with information about tree care.
If you are interesting in donating to the Tree Fund to pay for new tree placement please make the check out to Chesterton Tree Fund and drop it off at either of the following locations:
Chesterton, IN 46304
Chesterton, IN 46304